To make our buildings as eco-efficient as possible, we add many energy efficient and CO2-reducing features to our construction design. Discover them here:
Optimize Energy Consumption
To further enhance eco efficiency, we have set out an energy consumption optimization strategy which focuses on four aspects:
- Daily optimization of operations to optimize energy consumption, with smart meters
- Refurbishment program for existing portfolio with technical improvement of the equipment, such as LED light
- VGP Renewable Energy offers green energy solutions to our tenants, with our own photovoltaic systems available for self consumption
- Implement heat pumps to replace gas for new developments
E-Mobility and Connectivity
Another important aspect with regards to the eco-efficiency of our warehouses, is the offer of e-mobility facilities. We provide our tenants with green electric and hydrogen charge facilities to facilitate their transition towards a green fleet. Next to this, we focus on easy public transport access and the proximity of major cities at our locations. We have a new target set for all VGP parks to be equipped with EV charging and public transport access.
Water and Waste Management
Furthermore, we work actively on efficient water management and waste management. Based on environmental best practice, we take active steps to limit water consumption, reduce water waste and protect water quality. Special efforts are made to install water efficient equipment, optimize operating practices and ensure that leaks are detected and repaired on a timely basis. We have also implemented water saving and retention techniques, used for cleaning and for watering green spaces.
While waste generated across our offices is monitored, tracked and reported, the majority of our waste is created as a result of our construction and demolition projects. We reuse as much as possible on-site to avoid the carbon emission related to transportation of waste off-site and the import of new materials from elsewhere.
- Making commuting more sustainable by transitioning to electric cars and to bikes for trips of < 10km. The Group only allows the use of battery-powered or hybrid vehicles for its own staff with respect to car portfolio leased and own.
- Introducing a business travel policy which aims to replace flight travel by teleconferencing for 20% of meetings and by train for trips of < 750km
- Switched to 100% certified green energy contracts for all VGP offices, provided by our own photovoltaic systems.
- Promoting digitization to reduce paper consumption and waste